Wednesday, August 29, 2007

BLIND LAWYER, A DEFENDER OF HUMAN RIGHTS, IS BEATEN UP, DRAGGED, AND JAILED ALONG WITH OTHER ACTIVISTS

(Se encuentra la versión en español abajo)

CUBA
August 28, 2007

On Sunday, August 27, 2007, at 5:30 PM, I was arrested and beaten by several military personnel of the Penal Ward of Amalia Simoni Provincial Hospital of Camagüey and by policemen and State Security officials. Independent journalist, Luis Esteban Espinosa Echemendía, and Eisy Marrero Marrero, a member of the Cuban Council of Human Rights Rapporteurs, were also arrested and physically attacked.

The event took place when we were attempting to interview Michael, a handicapped individual in a wheel chair who is the son of the prisoner of conscience, José Antonio Mola Porro and who is in Ward H of that hospital. This ward, as well as the hospital, is not a military facility, but a rather public one, and it was visiting hours.

They locked us in the prisoners’ and tuberculosis ward, and they tried to search me, but I refused and said that I would only let them check me at police headquarters. A short time later, a patrol arrived, and they asked me to hand over my Canon digital video recorder that I was feverishly protecting. I had it tied through one of the loops on my belt. I told them I would turn over the cassette but never the camera. Then 5 or 6 of the prison guards dressed in green and two policemen dressed in blue uniforms, as well as some plain clothed individuals, jumped on top of me. They threw me to the floor, and while beating me, they tried to snatch the two small bags tied to my body.

They dragged me toward their car where they tried to force me in it, but I opened my arms and legs trying to grab onto anything in the way and preventing authorities from achieving their objective. Infuriated, they pulled me outside, and they tried it again, violently throwing me against the hatchback of the car, that is, against the top of the door frame of the back left door. I took three hard blows to the head and one to the left shoulder that caused huge bruises all over my body. Finally, they threw me head first onto the car’s seats and bending my legs, they locked me in the asphyxiating patrol car along with Marrero and Luis Esteban.

Upon arriving at the Avellaneda police unit, I refused to get out of the car on my own feet, telling the policemen that if I had been forced into the car, now they would have to take me out by force. Then they told me not to make things worse for myself, that they would accuse me of resistance and that I am a very rude lawyer. With a policeman on each side of me, they dragged me by the hands and took me across the filthy floor of the police station to an enclosed cell that was extremely hot and reeked of urine and feces. I was there for three hours along with my friends, Marrero and Esteban. Then, they let me go, saying that everything had just been a mistake. They returned my camera with 4 cassettes, the tape recorder, and everything else they had taken. (I had been interviewing 6 political prisoners arrested this August and other dissidents as well. All of the work on the video camera and recorder forms part of my work as the Executive Secretary of the Cuban Council of Human Rights Rapporteurs.)

This is a synthesis of everything that occurred. Presently, my entire body and head hurts a bit, but it’s going away. Yesterday, the pain was horrible. I was not taken to see any doctor.

I hold the Cuban government responsible for my health and my life, and I ask for solidarity from the international public opinion and world governments.

Thank you very much,

Juan Carlos González Leiva
Executive Secretary of the Cuban Council of Human Rights Rapporteurs
President of the Cuban Foundation of Human Rights

May God Bless Cuba
_______________________________
Testimony provided by Juan Carlos González Leiva from Cuba to the Coalition of Cuban-American Women/LAIDA CARRO. Joseito76@aol.com in the USA
Translation into English / Coalition of Cuban-American Women / Tanya Wilder / E-mail:
tswilder@suddenlink.net
__________________________________________________
ABOGADO INVIDENTE, DEFENSOR DE LOS DERECHOS HUMANOS, ES GOLPEADO, ARRASTRADO Y ENCARCELADO JUNTO A OTROS ACTIVISTAS

AGOSTO 2007

El domingo, 26 de Agosto,2007 a las 5:30 pm fuí arrestado y golpeado por varios militares de la Sala Penal del Hospital Provincial de Camagüey Amalia Simoni y por policías y oficiales de la Seguridad del Estado. También resultaron arrestados y agredidos físicamente el periodista independiente Luis Esteban Espinosa Echemendía y Eisy Marrero Marrero, miembro del Consejo de Relatores de Derechos Humanos de Cuba.


El hecho se produjo cuando estábamos queriendo entrevistar a Michael, un discapacitado, en silla de ruedas quien es hijo de crianza del prisionero de conciencia José Antonio Mola Porro y está ingresado en la Sala H de ese hospital. Esta sala y el hospital no son areas militares, sino públicas y era horario de visitas.

Nos encerraron en la sala de penados y tuberculosos y quisieron requisarme corporalmente, pero yo me negué y dije que solo me dejaría revisar en la sede de la policía. Un rato más tarde llegó la patrulla y me pidieron la cámara de vídeo digital Cannon, la cual yo protegía férreamente atándola dentro de una riñonera a mi cintura. Yo les dije que les entregaría el cassette, pero jamás la cámara. Entonces se me echaron encima 5 o 6 guardias de prisión vestidos de verde y dos policías de azúl, así como vestidos de civil. Me lanzaron al suelo y a fuerza de golpes y sarrandeos trataban de arrebatarme los dos pequeños bolsos atados a mi cuerpo.Me arrastraron llevándome así hacia el auto e intentaban introducirme en éste, pero yo abría las piernas y los brazos y los enganchaba de cuanto encontré a mi paso y no lograban su objetivo. Enfurecidos, me alaban hacia afuera y luego lo intentaban de nuevo lanzándome violentamente contra el auto Lada, pero yo les repetía la acción y entonces comenzaron a golpearme la cabeza contra la lata del carro, es decir, contra los marcos superiores de la puerta trasera del lado derecho. Así recibí al menos tres golpes fuertes en la cabeza y uno en el hombro izquierdo y hematomas por todo el cuerpo. Finalmente, me lanzaron de cabeza hacia los asientos y doblándome los pies me encerraron en el caluroso patrullero, junto a Marrero y Luís Esteban.

Al llegar a la unidad policial de Avellaneda me negué a bajarme del auto por mis propios pies diciéndoles que si yo me había metido cargado y por la fuerza que hicieran ahora lo mismo. Entonce me dijeron que no me complicara más, que me acusarían de resistencia y que yo soy un abogado muy fresco. Me arrastraron por las manos, un policía a cada lado y así me llevaron por todo el mugriento piso de la unidad policial hasta un calabozo tapiado, caluroso y repleto de orina y escrementos, donde me tuvieron 3 horas junto a mis amigos Esteban y Marrero. Después, me dejaron en libertad diciéndome que todo había sido una confusión. Además me devolvieron mi cámara con 4 cassettes, la grabadora y todo lo demás. Yo me encontraba entrevistando a unos 6 prisioneros políticos escarcelados en este agosto y también a otros disidentes. Todo esto forma parte de mi trabajo como Secretario Ejecutivo del Consejo de Relatores de Derechos Humanos de Cuba.

He aquí una sínstesis de todo lo ocurrido. Actualmente me duele un poco la cabeza y todo el cuerpo, pero va disminuyendo. Ayer los dolores eran terribles. No fuí llevado ante ningún médico.

Responsabilizo al gobierno cubano, con mi salud y mi vida y pido la solidaridad de la opinión pública internacional y la comunidad de los Estados.

Muchas Gracias,

Juan Carlos González Leiva.
Secretario Ejecutivo del Consejo de Relatores de Derechos Humanos de Cuba
Presidente la Fundación Cubana de Derechos Humanos.

Que Dios Bendiga a Cuba
______________________________
Testimonio dado por Juan Carlos González Leiva desde Cuba a la Coalición de Mujeres Cubano-Americanas / LAIDA CARRO / Joseito76@aol.com

No comments: